We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Quest Tracker Opacity

I have searched through the UI offerings and cannot seem to find a single modification to the Quest Tracker Panel. It is extremely hard to read quests in nearly all zones due to the lack of color. Can we get a slider for opacity like the chat box has please? Thanks for your time!

Quote Originally Posted by Vargax View Post
    I have searched through the UI offerings and cannot seem to find a single modification to the Quest Tracker Panel. It is extremely hard to read quests in nearly all zones due to the lack of color. Can we get a slider for opacity like the chat box has please? Thanks for your time!
    This could be done with a small plugin. The plugin would just draw an opaque rectangle behind the quest tracker.

The only problem would be, the plugin can't determine the location of the quest tracker on the screen, so you would have to position it manually.

I have no idea how to create a plugin that would fix this. have you or anyone else created one already? Knowing it can be fixed gives me hope, but the original post was aimed at making this a common place item in game. For how old this game is you think they would have implemented more QOL features for this and other issues (extremely tiny quest/deed panels/etc....)
    Last edited by Vargax; Mar 26 2019 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargax View Post
    I have no idea how to create a plugin that would fix this. have you or anyone else created one already? Knowing it can be fixed gives me hope, but the original post was aimed at making this a common place item in game. For how old this game is you think they would have implemented more QOL features for this and other issues (extremely tiny quest/deed panels/etc....)
    I agree.

Here's a trivial plugin that will do the job for you. Instructions:

1. Download the zip file from here.
    2. Unzip it. You will get a Thurallor folder with two files in it. Place the Thurallor folder into your Plugins folder. (If you don't know where your Plugins folder is, see "How to find your Plugins folder" here.)
    3. Run LOTRO and open the Plugin Manager.
    4. In the list of plugins on the left, click "Opaque Quest Tracker".
    5. In the bottom right of the window, find where it says "Automatically Load For:". In the pulldown menu, choose your character or "All Characters". Now the plugin will be loaded automatically each time you login.
    6. Click the "Load" button at the top of the window to load the plugin.
    7. You will see a semitransparent rectangle near the middle of your screen, behind the UI elements. Now you just need to set its size and position.
    8. Using Notepad or another plain text file editor, open the file OpaqueQuestTracker.lua, in the Thurallor folder.
    9. On the first line of the file, you will see the following variables that you can change:
      left = 0.5; top = 0.5; width = 0.25; height = 0.25; opacity = 0.5;
      These specify the position of the rectangle (left, top); the size of the rectangle (width, height); and the opacity. The numbers are fractions of the screen size, so for example "left = 0" would put the rectangle at the left edge of the screen; "left = 0.9" would put it almost at the right edge. Width and height are also fractions of the screen size. Opacity is a number between 0 (invisible) and 1 (completely opaque).
    10. Save the file.
    11. In the Plugin Manager, click "Unload All", then "Load". The rectangle will have moved to the new position/size. Repeat steps 9-11 as needed.

Note: If/when you change the screen resolution you will need to unload and reload the plugin so it can reposition/resize the rectangle.
    Last edited by Thurallor; Mar 26 2019 at 01:06 PM.

You , sir, are a god. i appreciate this!

b414213562 is offline Crosser of Roads
    Plugin Along
    I took Thurallor's basic idea and ran with it. You can download the Opaque Quest Tracker plugin from LoTROInterface or with the LOTRO Plugin Compendium.