We have detected that cookies are not enabled on your browser. Please enable cookies to ensure the proper experience.

Crossover install derp (Windows 7 -> Windows 10)

So I started to install LotRO in CrossOver but I just followed the basic prompts and what do you know, I've downloaded over half the game into a Windows 7 bottle. If I create a new Windows 10 bottle, can I copy the files I already have into it, or do I have to start the entire full-day process from scratch?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by JarenCorax; Apr 23 2023 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by JarenCorax View Post
    So I started to install LotRO in CrossOver but I just followed the basic prompts and what do you know, I've downloaded over half the game into a Windows 7 bottle. If I create a new Windows 10 bottle, can I copy the files I already have into it, or do I have to start the entire full-day process from scratch?
    As long as it’s a Windows 7 64-bit bottle then you’re fine. Not only will the game work but you can (and should) change it to a Windows 10 64-bit bottle later. Doing so is very easy, I’ll provide instructions for doing that if you need them.

If it’s a Windows 7 bottle (without the 64-bit qualifier) that will be a problem because a 32-bit bottle can’t run the 64-bit LOTRO client or any other 64-bit executables. And it is not possible to convert a 32-bit bottle to a 64-bit bottle. But even if this is the case, just let the install finish and then let me know this is the case and I will give you some instructions which will allow you to create a replacement bottle without having to redownload 34gb of LOTRO files.

For anyone else reading this, the very short version of installing LOTRO with Crossover is:
    1- Install Crossover.
    2- Create a Windows 10 64-bit bottle.
    3- Use Crossover to install “DirectX for Modern Games” into that bottle.
    4- Be sure that DXVK is enabled and all other “bottle settings” are disabled.
    5- Download the Windows installer for LOTRO from lotro.com.
    6- Use Crossover to install the Windows installer, lotrolive.exe, into the bottle you created in Step 2.
    7- If, after the installation is complete and you’ve entered your credentials and click the PLAY button, the client does not launch (nothing happens or you get a black screen); edit the ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini file with these lines. Add them if they don’t exist, edit them to match if they do exist:
    GameClientType=3
    ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    Last edited by Tralfazz; Apr 24 2023 at 10:25 AM. Reason: semicolon

Quote Originally Posted by Tralfazz View Post
    As long as it’s a Windows 7 64-bit bottle then you’re fine. Not only will the game work but you can (and should) change it to a Windows 10 64-bit bottle later. Doing so is very easy, I’ll provide instructions for doing that if you need them.

If it’s a Windows 7 bottle (without the 64-bit qualifier) that will be a problem because a 32-bit bottle can’t run the 64-bit LOTRO client or any other 64-bit executables. But even if this is the case, just let the install finish and then let me know this is the case and I will give you some instructions which will allow you to create a replacement bottle without having to redownload 34gb of LOTRO files.

For anyone else reading this, the very short version of installing LOTRO with Crossover is:
    1- Install Crossover.
    2- Create a Windows 10 64-bit bottle.
    3- Use Crossover to install “DirectX for Modern Games” into that bottle.
    4- Be sure that DXVK is enabled and all other “bottle settings” are disabled.
    5- Download the Windows installer for LOTRO from lotro.com.
    6- Use Crossover to install the Windows installer, lotrolive.exe, into the bottle you created in Step 2.
    7- If, after the installation is complete and you’ve entered your credentials and click the PLAY button, the client does not launch (nothing happens or you get a black screen), edit the ~/Documents/The Lord of the Rings Online/UserPreferences.ini file with these lines. Add them if they don’t exist, edit them to match if they do exist:
    GameClientType=3
    ScreenMode=FullScreenWindowed
    GraphicsCore=D3D9
    Thanks Tralfazz! It's a 64-bit bottle, so I should be good. If they can be converted I bet I can figure out how to do that.